4.23.2008

Family Ties

Planning a wedding can be surprising isolating and it is easy to feel like you have to plan for and provide everything yourselves. No so! In fact, incorporating family items into your wardrobe and ceremony decor can provide an additional layer of meaning to your event while saving you time and money. For example, my husband and I used two kiddush cups - the same one my parents used for their wedding in 1974 and one his father used at his bar mitzvah. We covered the alter in a tablecloth Barry's grandmother hand stitched when she was a child and used the hall rug from my parents house as a runner. I wore Barry's grandmothers pearls and we used a break the glass pillow made by his great aunt. It was wonderful to be surround by familiar objects and reminded of all of the connections on both sides of the family that we were bringing together.

No comments: